The boccia delegation received the most votes, thanks to their performance at the Parapan American Games.
Argentina’s boccia team was chosen as the best team of the Lima 2019 Parapan American Games, after placing first in the BC1/BC2 class, in the competition that took place at the Villa El Salvador Sports Center.
The winners were decided by popular vote on the official website of the Americas Paralympic Committee (APC), where the Argentinian team received 51.57% of the votes, followed by the men’s goalball team with 44.81%, who were also a Lima 2019 champion.
The Canadian women’s wheelchair basketball team and US men’s wheelchair basketball team were also nominated for this award.
Argentina won the boccia championship by defeating Mexico 12-0 and Brazil 8-1 in exciting matches that were held in the Villa El Salvador Sports Center, specially built for the Pan American and Parapan American Games.
The APC decided to separate the Americas Athlete of the Month award into three different categories: Best Female Athlete, Best Male Athlete and Best Team, based on results obtained at Lima 2019.
Thus, Colombian Sara Vargas (Para swimming) was named Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete while Herbert Aceituno (Para powerlifting) was selected as Best Male Athlete.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martínez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February– Rebeca Valenzuela Álvarez, Mexico, Para athletics
• March – Matías Pino, Chile, Para table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, Para athletics
• May – Sherman Güity, Costa Rica, Para athletics
• June – Luis Flores, Chile, Para table tennis
• July – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, Para powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Female Athlete) – Sara Vargas, Colombia, Para swimming
• August (Lima 2019 Best Male Athlete) – Herbert Aceituno, El Salvador, Para powerlifting
• August (Lima 2019 Best Team) – Argentinian boccia team
INFORMATION FROM THE AMERICAS PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE