There is a List of Prohibited Substances and Methods (List) containing all substances and methods prohibited in sports, in terms of anti-doping.
Here is some information that you must consider:
- A new List of Prohibited Substances and Methods comes into force on January 1 of each year. The substances and/or methods that will be added or removed from the List the coming year are announced three months in advance.
- There are substances that are prohibited at all times, some that are prohibited in-competition only and others that are prohibited in particular sports.
- To search the list, you must enter the name of the substance, not the name of the medication (commercial name).
WHERE CAN YOU FIND THE LIST
OF PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES AND
METHODS IN SPORTS?
You can look up the List online on the WADA website or you can download it to check when there is no Internet connection available.
Extreme care is recommended when using dietary supplements. Even those that are advertised as “completely natural” may contain prohibited substances. Always consult a duly qualified nutritionist and check the labels for quality certifications recognized by international organizations.
IS ESSENTIAL TO
If you need to take a prohibited substance or use a prohibited method for health reasons, then you must obtain a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). The TUE application must be submitted at least 30 days before competing in a tournament.
The TUE will only work retroactively in duly accredited emergencies.
TO OBTAIN A THERAPEUTIC
1. Request a TUE form to your International Federation or download the TUE form here.
2. Fill out the form with your physician, attach the tests (or requested medical examinations) and send it to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Once the TUE application has been received, an expert panel will review it and will decide favorably if:
- Your health is significantly affected if you do not take this substance.
- The substance does not enhance your performance, it only protects your health.
- There are no alternative treatments available.
4. You will be notified if your request was approved. If a request is denied, you will be notified of the reasons and be able to appeal the decision.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH RISKS
- Breast cancer
- Testicular atrophy
- Reduces sperm count
- Increases facial and body hair
- Deeper voice
- Reduces the contour of the chest
- Menstrual issues
- Hypertrophy of the clitoris
- Cerebrovascular accidents and blood clots
- Severe face and back acne
- High blood pressure and heart disease
- Growth problems
- Psychological problems: fury, aggression, manias and delusions
- Nausea and intestinal problems
- Sudden death
- Liver damage, tumors and cysts
- Urinary issues
- Increases the risk of tendon injuries and joint pain.