LIMA 2019: RACE WALKING TO BE HELD IN MIRAFLORES
Race walking in the 20 km and 50 km events will take place on August 4 and 11, respectively.
Race walking, one of the Pan American Games disciplines, will be seen in Miraflores on August 4 (20 km) and 11 (50 km) in men’s and women’s events.
This was reported by the Lima 2019 Pan American Games Organizing Committee who mentioned race walking is a progression of steps so taken that the walker makes contact with the ground. The advancing leg must be straightened (i.e. not bent at the knee) from the moment of first contact with the ground until the vertical upright position.
The Peruvian women’s team is comprised of Mary Luz Andía, the race walking world’s top ten, Kimberly García, Evelyn Inga and Yoci Caballero. Meanwhile, the men’s team is made up of José Carlos Mamani and Luis Henry Campos.
In April, 2019, the Peruvian women’s team won the Pan American Race Walking Cup in Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacán, Mexico.
Thus, they are confident about reaching the podium at Lima 2019. For this reason, they have intensified their training to be in optimal conditions for the competition. However, they will play against 28 athletes from different countries (14 women and 14 men).
Race walking is a road competition free of charges for all spectators, so around five thousand people are expected to attend the event and root for their favorite athletes along the route.
The route for the 20 km and 50 km events goes from Av. José Larco, close to the Municipality of Miraflores, to the intersection with Calle Tarata. Then, the return will be through the same streets to Óvalo de Miraflores.
Learn about the detour plan
To ensure the optimal development of the competition, the Lima 2019 Pan American Games Organizing Committee, the Municipality of Miraflores and the Peruvian National Police (PNP) informed that the street closure plan will be carried out on August 4 and 11, from 00:00 to 15:00.
- Av. José Larco, from Óvalo de Miraflores to Calle Tarata
- Av. Diagonal, from Óvalo de Miraflores to Calle Schell
- Calle Bellavista, from Calle Berlín to Av. José Pardo
- Calle Mártir José Olaya, from Av. Diagonal to Av. José Pardo
- Calle Schell, from Av. José Larco to Av. Diagonal
- Av. José Pardo (From West to East), from Calle Bellavista to Óvalo de Miraflores
- Westbound: Av. José Pardo - Av. Jorge Chávez – Calle José Gálvez – Av. Diagonal – Av. Benavides – Av. La Paz – Av. Ricardo Palma.
- Eastbound: Av. Ricardo Palma – Av. Petit Thouars – Jr. Gonzales Prada – Calle Enrique Palacios – Av. Comandante Espinar – Av. José Pardo.
- Northbound: Av. José Larco – Av. Benavides – Av. La Paz – Av. Ricardo Palma – Av. Petit Thouars – Jr. Gonzales Prada – Calle Enrique Palacios – Av. Comandante Espinar – Av. José Pardo.
- Southbound: Av. Arequipa – Calle Enrique Palacios – Calle Elías Aguirre – Av. Grau – Calle José Gonzales – Av. Diagonal.
The Lima 2019 Pan American and Parapan American Games Organizing Committee has some recommendations for the spectators who will be supporting the athletes during this competition:
- Do not throw objects to the competition track.
- Do not throw water at the athletes.
- Do not interfere with the marathon circuit.
- Do not bring pets because they could run away and interrupt the competition.
- Respect the road closure which will be in force during the competition.